Sunday, February 8, 2009

Social Semiotics By Van Leeuwen

Prior to reading the chapter on “semiotic resources”, I used to think that I have mastered the gist of “framing” in the context of visual communication because this concept has been introduced in several past modules such as AAE102 and AAE232. I was confident in thinking that framing is solely about the disconnection of different elements found in a text through empty space between elements, colours and frame-lines. I have failed to realize that this same concept could have been used in depicting the “connectedness” between elements of a visual composition. In addition, I was not aware that there are actually differences between the various types of framing in terms of semiotic potential. Therefore, terms such as “segregation”, “separation”, integration”, “overlap”, “rhyme” and “contrast” were completely alien to me.

It never occurred to me that “framing” could be integrated into another domain, which is the framing of interior space in offices and school buildings. It was interesting to read that plants, curtains, furniture, lighting and screens are used to segregate spaces, besides solid walls. Having work in the corporate world for two years before entering NIE, I have been exposed to open-concept offices. The first office that I went to for work uses open concept workstations like the one shown below.



Despite the fact that I am surrounded by six other colleagues from the same department in the same room, I quite enjoyed working in such an environment due to several reasons. Firstly, I was able to concentrate on my work more easily without having to face too much distraction. Secondly, I felt that there were some forms of privacy because I was able to engage in private chats with a few colleagues, who shared closer bonds with me, without the fear of being seen or heard by our superiors. Last but not least, I felt more secured working behind my workstation.

However, I disliked the office for my second job because it look exactly like the one illustrated in the picture shown below, except that our tables were all joined together to face the walls.

To make things worse, there were only full length glass panels separating my colleagues and me from our directors. Consequently, we felt extremely uncomfortable and stressful working in such environment, since we were constantly being watched.

Nevertheless, now that I am going to be a teacher, I am in favor of the use of open-plan framing in class. This is because it allows me to monitor the pupils' activities taking place in the class and and keep the class under control at all times. Therefore, I realized that the role one has in an organization can influence the way they view de-segregation of office spaces. Staff at the management levels tends to prefer open-plan framing whereas their subordinates would prefer the opposite.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerlynn,
    I will also prefer the open concept workstations that is similar to your first office.
    As for the second office,I cannot imagine my boss monitoring every move through the glass panels!! The 'best' part is that the bosses can monitor the employees at any time they prefer yet the employees cant see them as frequent as they like.

    ReplyDelete